11 February 2023

Spain 2023 Alley Oop!

When I was a kid, one of my favorite comic strips was Alley Oop, featuring a caveman (and his girlfriend Ooola).

Well, a lot has happened since then - I've learned French and moved to France. And guess what a common phrase is... Allez-hop! French people say it to you to indicate that something is ready to go; it's done - like when your last grocery item is scanned; off you go! It originated with French acrobats - they said it at a jump, and it just caught on.

So now I'm traveling through Spain, and I keep coming across this chain store, called... Ale-hop!

Oh, la vache! (What a cow, right?!?)

*That* is what finally got me thinking! All three are pronounced *almost* the same. And yes, they all go back to those acrobats 🙂.

~~~

PS - apparently "Ooola" comes from Oh La La...

~~~

UPDATE: Thanks to Ian for finding this song 🤣 

https://youtu.be/qIXUJ9WE0QY


No comments: