12 August 2017

When in Sète, Eat Fish!

Sète, being a big port and all, is huge on fish - all kinds of fish!

I've (somewhat slowly) tried several new-to-me types, and still have a huge number of fish (and other seafood) to try that are regularly spread out in the fish market!

On top of that, the experts recommend eating fish at least twice a week, one of which is a "fatty" variety - salmon, tuna, mackerel, sardines...

Well, we're not big on the canned versions, and I tried smoked mackerel many years ago (not my thing). But, I know that the difference between canned tuna and fresh is like night and day! So... last week, I tried a single piece of fresh mackerel. Aaand, it was awfully strong - tick that fish off my list. Today, I bought a single (already cleaned and filleted, thank you very much!) sardine,* and cooked it up for an appetizer.

Here it is, dredged in flour, pan fried with garlic and coriander leaves, deglazed with white wine; served with bread and chopped cucumber.

And, I have to say, it wasn't bad! Not great, but nothing like the canned version (that I can't believe I really liked as a kid! I think it was the thrill of eating a fish whole)! However, as an adult (yes, smirk if you will), it's just not worth worrying about the bones. I know, people will say to just eat the bones, but I just can't...

~~~
* This is how big my 50¢ sardine was...

*The lovely fish monger thinks I'm crazy...

No comments: