15 March 2020

One Week in Corona-Ville

One Week in Corona-Ville

An awful lot changed in just one week, here in Sète...

  • On Monday, my English conversation workshop met as usual, and, as usual, we voted to continue next week.
  • Tuesday, I went to the hospital lab for my annual check of a whole lotta blood tests (the nurse managed to hold all the tubes in one hand, but just barely). I went to physical therapy (for a nodule on my foot) that afternoon. I got groceries, and cooked for our Wednesday outing. Later, I heard the news that the Escale, scheduled for mid-April, was now cancelled. Then, the WHO announced that the coronavirus had become a pandemic.
  • Wednesday, my French/English group met for our monthly potluck. There was quite a bit of discussion about the economic havoc to come, between the cancelled Escale and the foreseen reduction in cruise ships coming to port. After a short discussion about whether to meet in April, we left it at "probably," but we would talk about it again the week before.
  • Thursday, I went back to the hospital, this time for a scan of my foot. My nodule is 3mm X 10mm, and on the edge of the tendon (much better than being in the middle). We arranged to have friends over for dinner next week. That night, I heard the news that Sète had had its first coronavirus case confirmed - I had been at the hospital at the same time. Macron addressed the nation, closing schools, and urging us to reduce our social contacts. 2,876 confirmed cases
  • Friday, I had a very poor night's sleep, so cancelled my morning physical therapy, but scheduled another for next Tuesday. I wrote to my English workshop group, suggesting we stop, and all agreed. Gatherings of over 100 people are banned. 
  • Saturday, our Prime Minister announced the closure of cafes, shops, restaurants, nightclubs, and cinemas. We cancelled dinner with our friends. I, like many, signed up for drive-through groceries. I haven't tried it out yet.
  • Sunday, Rick walked to his polling place and voted. France, a country of 63.5 million people, has reported more than 4,400 confirmed cases.


So, what's on the agenda for next week? Basically, stay home as much as possible. Tomorrow, I will have to call the hospital and see what I can do instead of going in - I need to get my blood test and foot scan results, ask about physical therapy, and arrange to pay for my tests. Since all non-urgent surgeries and consultations are delayed, I expect that my appointment next month to assess progress will be delayed. Likewise, I'll call and cancel my physical therapy appointments, and ask about what I can do at home instead (although I have a pretty good idea).

We have to periodically assess our need for groceries, and put that off for as long as possible. We decided that the need would be driven by veggies rather than bread, which will now be a treat (unbelievable approach here in France!). The goal is to reduce our frequency of physically interacting with others. I expect to have some fairly strange meals on the day or two before shopping trips!

Meanwhile, social networks are producing some amusing new words!

  • vacations spent at home became stay-cations, which are now Corona-cations
  • all this self-isolation is expected to produce a baby boom - those born 9 months from now will be known as The Coronials


~~~
France's coronavirus timeline so far:

  • 1st case in France, January 24
  • 2 1/2 weeks in the hospital is usual
  • end February, several cases derived from Italy, including Montpellier, our nearest large city
  • pandemic announced March 10
  • if we succeed at flattening our curve, we could be tailing off at the end of June (that's my estimate)


No comments: