24 November 2019

Drop Biscuits

I've been missing Mom's biscuits lately, and the topic came up in my English Conversation Atelier - it's hard to explain just what a biscuit is! So, Mom sent the recipe, and I put my oven through another hoop!


Drop Biscuits (from Mom's cookbook: Better Homes and Gardens NEW Cook Book! And she's only had it since 1955!)

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour (T55)
3 teaspoons baking powder (levure chimique)
1/2 teaspoon salt
4-8 Tablespoons margarine or shortening
1 cup milk

For sweet biscuits (for strawberry shortcake), add
1-3 Tablespoons of sugar

Steps

  1. Heat oven to 450°F (230°C, or 220°C with fan). In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the shortening, using a pastry blender (I just use my hands!), until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in the milk until the dough leaves the side of the bowl (dough will be soft and sticky).
  2. Drop the dough from a teaspoon onto a cookie sheet.
  3. Bake 12 - 15 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove the biscuits from the cookie sheet to a wire rack or paper. Serve warm.


~~~
If you're wondering why I'm posting so many recipes lately, "Food" is our current topic in my English Conversation Atelier...

No comments: