21 October 2022

Getting Tough with Chicken

The other day, I bought my usual max-pack of chicken breasts (2.5 kg). I froze some, poached a couple for lunch meat, and set aside several more for dinner and apéros. 

Well, it's a good thing that we tried the lunch meat first, because it was tough as an old bird! This is so unusual here, it threw me! There was no way I could serve this batch of chicken for apéros (I was planning on my chicken nuggets), and we struggled to think of what to do with the already cooked stuff (besides throwing it out 🙄). I finally just chopped it up fine - we tried it in wraps and quesadillas, but even that was not completely pleasant. I will probably put the rest in the freezer, and use it a bit at a time in soups or casseroles.

For the rest? I asked for help in a cooking group, and got some great ideas - soups, enchiladas, slicing it fine, marinading, pounding flat for roll-ups...

I don't have a pressure cooker, meat grinder, or tenderizer. But we had talked about getting a mini food processor for Rick to use when I'm away, and I wondered if that could work for the meat... I ended up buying a mid-range one, and I tried it out today - with good results!

Lunch - chicken meatballs, ~fried rice 

I decided to try the grater, with a fall-back to the chopper. It worked! I ended up throwing out about a quarter cup of connective tissue at the end. Here's the rest


Chicken Meatballs

Mince/grate 5 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)

Mix in:
1 large egg
1 small onion, chopped 
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
Seasoning (I used 1 TBS of a spicy vindaloo, and this was not enough)

Form into small, slightly flattened meatballs, and pan-fry on high. When browned, flip and brown the other side. Remove to plate to drain.

This made about 30 meatballs. Here's the first batch (pretty, right?)


I cooked some chopped onion and green beans in the leftover oil, then added some precooked brown rice - it made a delicious pseudo fried rice, and a perfect lunch!

The food processor is certainly messy; that's the main reason we didn't have one till now. But it saved our bacon (or rather, our chicken) this time, and will let us prep food without too much chopping by hand. And that's what we need 🙂


No comments: