13 July 2022

Sète to Oslo

We made it!

Norwegian Flag (click it to read about it)

How did it go? It wasn't too bad! 

We were all set to leave by 5pm - the last thing to check off was to turn off our water... Well! The closet door was locked! (There's a special key that plumbers have, that we don't - no issue normally, as it's not usually locked). We scrambled around looking for a way to open it, gave up, and I tried to turn off the water supply to the toilet (it's developed issues lately). As soon as I got the valve to turn (not easy!), the dratted thing started to drip! Now what?!? Can't leave it, can't turn off the water, and can't wait for a plumber! Rick had a brainstorm, and as soon as I was able to get the valve back, he used the plier handle to open the closet - phew! We closed off one supply, and checked - no flow for us, so our neighbor's water must be just fine 🙂.

All that used up our "leave early" time, as well as my stress allowance. Or so I thought...

As usual, my GPS lost us, then put us on a different route - I pulled over, and we reset it. Lesson learned from before - I had a paper note of all the turns. And I still have it for the next airport run!

P6 parking was as simple as advertised, if a little crowded - I followed the signed, punched in my code, then meandered for a while before finding a space. About 15 minutes later, we were at our Flyr check-in (which did not open for another 25 minutes). We left our bag at check-in (no bag drop after all), a made our way through security and right to our gate (I mean, it was right there!). All went smoothly, even security - *they* were waiting for *us!* (I asked, but no, this was not usual!) I did forget to take out a large prescription liquid, but once they saw it, they let it through (a bit embarrassing though).

While waiting at the gate, we realized that we had completely forgotten our coats. It was so very hot in Sète, but we would be walking outside in 15C (59F) weather 😞.

We eventually boarded - our seats were together, but then no one had the third, so we skooched down. It was still horribly uncomfortable, and absolutely no entertainment system at all; well it's a Three-Hour Tour...

One interesting thing - the flight originated in France, but the announcements were all in Norwegian and English!

We landed on time at 8:30pm, and our bus to town was set to leave at 9:30pm - plenty of time! 🙄 Our bag was one of the last, then we had to take turns changing clothes in the bathroom (no shorts, please!) then through customs (nothing to declare), then to the ATM ($50 in kroner was the minimum), then find the bus! That turned out to be easier than it looked at first - good thing, because I saw the bus pull up before I saw the platform!

Ten minutes to spare! I tried out my Norwegian on the driver as he took our ticket - didn't seem to work, but he seemed unfazed, so we boarded. Sure enough, it was pretty clear - there was a screen showing our progress along the stops. 40-some minutes later, we got off. It's now about ten after one in the morning, and we're beat!

We followed the directions to pick up the key, then on to the apartment - I had to double-check the details, but there were no hiccups. After setting up and winding down, we finally fell into bead at 2:30 am...

Today was all about getting through the travel fuzz, getting groceries, figuring out the appliances, and getting WiFi connected.

Of note: I went to the grocery store in sunny weather (shorts and T-shirt), and came out to a thunderstorm! I was thoroughly sopping by the time I got home!


No comments: