23 July 2022

Karl Johans Street and The Palace

Technically, that should be "Karl Johans Gate", but I was confused enough by that my first day; I figured I'd pass on the intel - "gate" is Norwegian for "street" 🙂

Karl Johans Gate is *the* main street of Oslo - the section I walked was built in the 1840s, and is capped at the end by the Palace. 

Here are a few street scenes...

Norwegian Parliament building 



Karl Johans Gate is lined with flowers



Hotels - wouldn't it be fun to stay here?


University 


Oh look! RĂĄdhuset (City Hall) is right there!


The National Theater, with statues of famous performers, composers, and authors






Norwegian Foreign Affaires ministry (and a shopping center)

And! The Palace!
I watched the changing of the guard here, 1:30 - 1:40; it coincided with the heaviest part of the rain, naturally!
Note that the best place to watch is from the trees to the left of the guard shack, which is to the right of the palace. The ceremonial marching doesn't happen right in front of the palace. You can see more photos, and a few videos in my Oslo Palace Guard 2022 album.






No comments: