16 June 2022

This week in Sète

So far, it's been quite a week!

Sunday, we voted in the first round of the legislative elections. We had a nice walk to our polling place (1 polling place per approximately 1000 voters), then drove to the beach for a cool drink at my favorite paillote (temporary beach restaurant). Next Sunday, we will vote in the runoff - it's between "The Nupes" (a coalition of center and left-wing parties) and the RN (a far-right fascist party). You can perhaps guess which way I'll vote...

Monday, I met a fellow American and her daughter, and showed off Sète! She and her family are scouting places to live in Europe - hopefully she finds enough "pluses" to keep Sète in the running 🙂. I think she'd make a fine neighbor!

We started here

Octopus fountain by the mayor's office 

And (mostly) ended here (back at my paillote) 🙂, covering a lot of my favorite places - it was so nice to have an excuse to see them again, and to talk about my town!


Tuesday (for me) was dedicated to trying to get a handle on cleaning the apartment 🙄 - I am finding it harder and less rewarding to do everything here just to keep up with the... mess (That's a catch-all term, isn't it?). Well, I have on my todo list - find a house-cleaner. Rick saved the day by getting all my medications from the pharmacy, *and* he got his second coronavirus booster! Officially, I'm not allowed (recommended?) to get mine yet (only over-60's (did I just give something away?!? 🤭)), but probably I'll get mine by September.

Wednesday, I went to the marché (farmer's market), and stopped in to get a take-out lunch at our old favorite stand inside Les Halles (the covered market, right in the middle of the farmer's market action). That felt really special! It's just good, ordinary barbeque (if grilled octopus and chorizo is ordinary!) and classic sides, but we made a lot out of it! Anyway, after the marché (while I was still fairly presentable), we went to the grocery store for more basic items. Why did this feel like such a busy day?

Now it's Thursday, and starting to feel *hot!* Tomorrow will be even hotter, at a forecast 34°C (93°F). We've been discussing what to do to escape the heat... I dread the idea of putting up the air conditioner, but it may be called for! As you can see, all of the rest of France is hotter than here!


I am finding it interesting (weird? Super bad?) that two of the places we had considered as vacation spots for exactly this week - Tours and Lyon - are even *hotter* than here! It's definitely a case of being glad that our desires had not materialized!

Well... Here's to the rest of the week! 🙂


No comments: