20 November 2017

Winter Squash Fritters

Winter Squash Fritters

I decided to try making fritters with the local squash (it looks like this musquée de provence); I ended up using a basic latke recipe, and exchanging squash for the potatoes!


2 cups cooked squash*
3 eggs
2 Tablespoons flour
~1 tsp salt, to taste (less than you would use with potatoes)
optional other seasonings: ginger, coriander, cumin, curry, nutmeg...

Stir everything together (it will be very wet); heat a mixture of butter and oil on medium-high; drop ~2 Tablespoons of mixture in the pan, and flatten. When crispy, flip to brown the other side.
Remove to paper towels, and keep warm.

Note: if you rarely use an apron, this is the time to do so!

~~~
* cut unpeeled squash into chunks and boil covered in a little water for 1/2 hour. Pull the squash flesh off the rind with a spoon.

~~~
I started with a little of every seasoning except curry; I will probably add more next time.

We had this with chicken tika masala - mmm, mmm...

~~~
UPDATE: 2020
I didn't use butter, the eggs were large, and I only had 1 1/2 cups of squash. They held together better, and spattered less. For flavor, I used just 1 TBS "hot" curry.

~~~
UPDATE: 2021
I have used as flavorings:
- Persillade (parsley, garlic, onion)
- Pumpkin pie spices plus cayenne
Both are great!


No comments: