10 April 2022

We Voted!

We voted this morning!


It was my first time voting in a French election, so I'm more excited than you might imagine 🙂

This is the first round of the presidential election; the second round will be in 2 weeks (assuming no one gets an outright majority, which isn't likely). Today, we had a choice of 12 candidates! (Read this France24 article for more info).

"To vote is a right; it is also a civic responsibility"

The election is only for president, so there isn't a long and involved ballot - here's all there is to it:

  1. You show up, show your election card and ID, they check for your name on the list. If you're on it, they hand you an envelope
  2. You pick up a piece of paper with the name of your choice (and any other red herrings you wish)
  3. You go into a privacy booth, *fold* the paper of your choice, and put it in the envelope. You fold the flap into the envelope, but don't seal it.
  4. You leave the booth, hand the envelope, your election card, and your ID to the agent. He reads off your number, another agent checks his list, confirms your name, and you sign.
  5. Then the agent deposits your ballot in the box, stamps your election card, and proclaims to the room, "a VOTÉ!"

That's how it usually goes. For me? Obviously, I had to be different! When I got into the booth, I noticed that the envelope is smaller than the ballot - I definitely didn't want my vote to be ruined and declared invalid, so I stuck my head out, and asked if I should fold it 🙄 - yes, of course. So, when I handed my envelope in, I explained that it's my first time voting in France - oh boy, were there a ton of smiles then! Even a "bienvenue" (welcome)!


No comments: