29 December 2017

Ten-Year Residence Card - The Interview

Ten-Year Residence Card - The Interview

Two days ago, just over a week (a week that includes Christmas!!!) after my Carte de Séjour appointment, someone from the préfecture called (yes, called! No text, no email, no snail mail). She wanted me to come in for an interview, to see if I was integrated enough to get the 10-year residence card (instead of 2 years). Even more surprising, she suggested the next morning! I said that afternoons were better, and so we agreed on the day after!

I was so prepared! And so early! My interview for a 10-year residence card started exactly on time, and lasted less than 10 minutes. It's purpose is to determine if you are integrated enough in French life, so there are a variety of questions they can draw from. Others who have recently succeeded had reported questions such as:
- what is the motto of France, and what does it mean to you?
- what are some symbols of France?
- can you sing the national anthem?
- name a king from French history, and discuss some details
- current politics: name of president, prime minister, previous ones, mayor, préfet, etc
- geography: name rivers, mountains, cities; name countries and seas that form France's boundaries
- your life in France: why do you live here? Do you work? Work-related questions
- what associations and clubs do you belong to?
- what are your plans for the future?

Well, I had answers and expansions for all of those (although I had an excuse for not knowing the actual lyrics for La Marseillaise). But I got only basic questions on current politics and geography, and no follow-ups when I said I was retired.
In addition, my interviewer asked:
- what language do you speak at home? (ack! I had to say English, it's the language from our life together; but also some French). She didn't look completely thrilled at that...
- do you watch television? (not much); what channel has an oak tree as a logo (I don't know; I watch some news on channels 1, 2, and 3, and a detective show with subtitles) **
- name a regional newspaper (uuuummmm, Le Monde?); Midi-Libre, with a smile (ah, yes, of course)
- can I vote? (this was confusing; I said, you? If you are a citizen, then yes). I got another smile.
- do I fill out papers by myself? (hmmm. also confusing. I pay taxes with my husband.) ok
- do you drive? you have a license? (yes)
- do you go grocery shopping? (in fact, I do this with my husband also; we're like Siamese twins). I got a little laugh at that one.

At the end, she said I qualified (I passed, with a "très bien !"), and my French was good! I asked if the police would come by, and she said it was obligatory (to confirm a real marriage). I mentioned that we had plans to be away in Spring, and she said as long as we were there in the next 3 months, there was no problem.

And now? This!
More Bubbly!
~~~
** UPDATE: After my at-home recap, Rick looked for an oak tree logo - nothing! So *probably* what happened is I heard "chêne" (masculin, oak tree), but she said "chaîne" (féminin, TV channel) - she was just asking what channel (aka canal) I watch, and I answered. LOL, sometimes it does pay to over-answer a question!
BTW, "chêne" and "chaine" are pronounced *exactly* the same way. The only key to which it is would be to hear une/un or some different-sounding-maculin-feminin adjective. So I don't feel too bad :-)

2 comments:

Ron said...

Wow! That really is amazing. We are planning our trip out there next Oct. Maybe we can see you two then. But this news is great. -Ron

Julie said...

I should qualify this though - I only get this option as a spouse of a French national. People who come on most other types of visas have to get a card every year or two for several years (I think 5?), then can go for the 10-year.
It'll be great to see you! Keep me up on your plans, and let's get together!