05 July 2019

Washing Machine Woes

One thing you don't think about in moving to France is that you may just be responsible for maintenance in your rented apartment!

I was washing a load of towels, when suddenly, the spin cycle went crazy! The machine was jumping around, flapping its lid, just like a cartoon! All that was missing was a speech-bubble with something snarky written inside!

Well, by the time I got to it, the input water line had snapped, and water was spewing everywhere! I got that turned off, mopped up the lake, and decided what to do next...

Rick suggested adding water by hand, and having it finish the rinse cycle - that worked (yay!), and soon enough, I had everything out and drying like normal.

Then came the hard part... I decided a little relaxation was in order - I read a little, while the machine took some time to think about what it had done.

~~~

Eventually the time came to address the problem. This white tube is clamped into the hose, and it was broken. Naturally, I looked at each part, and figured there was some specialized tool to work the clamp.
Broken white tube

Clamp and hose
I called up a friend who knows about these things, and after a little Q&A, he pops over with a bag of tools! He disconnected the entire hose, and I bundled up the whole assembly to take to the store for comparison purposes. He had an entire list of places to try, in order, to find a replacement.

Lo and behold, our first stop is the DIY section of our grocery store - I'm *still* thinking about clamps, tools, hardware store... But! It turns out that the entire thing comes together in one package! *At the Grocery store!* Easy-peasy, you just screw on one end to the machine, and the other end to the water inlet!

I'm back in business!

~~~
In case you wonder about tenant responsibilities, this government website spells it out - you pretty much take care of everything!
https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F31697

No comments: