This time, we'll have a homebase in Montpellier, and make day trips (and perhaps a few multiple-day trips) around the Southern part of France. We'll have a car, but we're also considering using trains and buses.
And just where in L'Hexagone is Montpellier? Right here!
It cracks me up - we're staying on "The Giant Dirt Clod" - it sounds so much nicer as "La Grande-Motte" in French!
Here's our current odds-n-ends list:
- Arrange apartment*
- Get flight and rental car
- Investigate driving guides (what is different / the same about driving in France)
- Check whether our driver's licenses are sufficient (they are)
- Buy electrical converters
- Investigate best method to get Euros
- Check into getting a chip and pin credit card (with good foreign transaction terms)
- Get a VPN for secure internet (and check it before leaving). Skip the international phone; we'll use skype - and we're pretty much joined at the hip when we travel :-) , so who are we going to call?
- Buy new luggage and linens
- Download offline maps (tablet, phone)
- Find an up-to-date guidebook
- Rough out a budget and activities
- Practice French!!
* Search VRBO, contact owner, get contract, sign it, return it, send money, arrange for renter's insurance (find a company for this!)...