14 March 2015

Green Chile Stew Update

Soooo...
I decided to try a new version of Green Chile Stew.  My last one (click here) was simply too hot!

Here's a snap of the little bit left :-)


Green Chile Stew

  • 1 tub frozen Green Hatch Chiles, fire roasted (13 oz)*
  • 1/2# cubed lean pork
  • 2-3 potatoes, peeled and cubed**
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups water
  • 1-2 TB flour mixed into water

Toss everything in a pot, simmer for 2 hrs (or more!)

*Using "mild," as any previous heat was simply too hot!  It's *very* good, but I could see adding a couple TB of hot or medium. We encountered some unpleasant skins; not sure if this is more common in mild, or just a fluke - I'm not sure of the best way to deal with it...

**white or red; although I usually leave the peel on for stews, in this case peeled is better. Rick likes fewer potatoes.

~~~
Note - some recipes brown the pork and onion in a little oil first, and some add diced tomatoes.  I like my way better :-)

No comments: