09 February 2021

Julie's French Nationality - Interviews

Julie's French Nationality - Interviews

There was good news in the mail today - I have an appointment with the préfecture to interview for my French nationality!


I submitted my request just over a year ago. Given the experiences of others, I expected a visit from the police, any time between August and the end of December. This is a normal part of the process, particularly for people like me, requesting it via marriage - they make a check to assure themselves that it's a real marriage. Yeah, for months and months, I got more and more anxious! Here it is, mid-February, and still no visit. Well, at least now we have a date for the préfecture's interview, and 2 months to prepare for it.

The letter came with a few relatively small surprises.
I expected that I would have to bring originals of my DELF language certificate and Rick's CNF. Since I sent copies, they would want to check them against the originals. I also expected to bring newer versions of our marriage certificate and rent receipts. But their list was a bit different! Yes, they want our latest rent receipt. But then, they also want a copy of Rick's ID, and copies of the last 4 years of our taxes. Nothing else! Well, those are easy to get. And I'm definitely taking all the other stuff too!

One interesting twist - due to covid, any document that we expect to give them must not have been touched for at least 48 hours before the appointment, and must be in a plastic pouch when we give it to them. It does add an extra element of planning!

~~~
My post on my dossier is here:

My timeline so far - Montpellier, via marriage:
January 31, 2020 - mailed dossier
March-May 2020 - préfecture closed due to covid
June 30, 2020 - accepted
February 9 - received mail with appointment in April. Note: no email or phone call, just my self-addressed stamped envelope that I had provided in my dossier.

No comments: