03 January 2020

FBI Criminal Record Check

FBI Criminal Record Check

Now, *those* are some scary words! But all it really is is proof that you don't have a criminal record in the USA.

It's a little daunting to go through the request process though. The main drawback is finding a way to get your fingerprints taken. It's easy enough in the states - you can usually get them at a police station, or even at a post office that's set up for it! However, when you're abroad, it's difficult to (1) find a place that can do it, and (2) explain what you need well enough that they want to help you.

So, just why do I need this? I'm finally asking for French nationality!

What I did:

November 20 - I went online and created an electronic account, and paid $18
https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks
https://www.edo.cjis.gov/#/

December - I tried to take my own fingerprints. It did not go well...

January 2 - I asked at tribunal (since we were there); they said no, and could only think of asking at the US embassy.
Then I asked at the local police station; he first said no, and that the préfecture does that, and it's not the same. That made me wonder if I hadn't explained it well, so I showed him the fingerprint page and the explanation page. He called someone, then said to come back tomorrow (no appointment time).

January 3 - I went back to the police station, and after a short wait, an officer and her trainee took me inside. She asked me to explain why I wanted my fingerprints, so I gave her the long story. She explained to her trainee that for Canadian and American police reports, they need to use fingerprints. Then, first she took my prints, explaining all the while, then her trainee took a second set. We all looked at the prints, and declared them good! The officer explained that they knew about this process because one of her colleagues married a Canadian, and she had to do the same for her police report. At the end, I said I might know in 2 weeks whether the prints were accepted or not, and she said to just come back if I needed to try again!
On the fingerprint card, I left everything blank except:
- Full name, as reflected in my electronic order
- date of birth
- social security number
- order number (I put this in the box for "reason fingerprinted")

I went right from the police station to the post office. I originally thought I would use Chronopost Express, but! even though it would only take 3 days, it was over 60€!! I eventually settled on a 2€ option (plus 8€ stamp) that will take up to 7 days. I put in the electronic account page and 2 sets of fingerprints, and sent it off! I ended up folding the pages, and I'm hoping that won't affect their acceptability...

What's next - I can follow the mail online (via the recommandé number), then the fingerprint analysis and reporting progress via the CJIS website, using my account number. Eventually, they will email my report, followed by snail-mail. According to those who have gone before, I can use the emailed report.

Inky fingers are all crossed!

UPDATE: once my letter left France (the next day!), I couldn't follow it; there were no updates from the USA. However! I received my electronic police report from the FBI just 2 weeks later (January 18)!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your story!!

Tess said...

Same, thanks for sharing! This will hopefully will save me €100!