16 February 2019

A Winter Week in Sète

Although this week is still Winter, it definitely feels like Spring here in Sète! Our days have been sunny, with highs approaching 70°F, little wind, and (best of all), *still* not a single day so far with freezing temperatures! Compare that to last year's very unusual snow...

I'm coming out of hibernation:
- Sunday, I went to a get-together of my sailing club - over 4 hours of good people drinking hot chocolate (à la Pascale), snackng on apple pie (Américain) and tartes mirabelles, and speaking a whole lotta French!
- Monday, I had my now-regular English/French conversation-and-correction coffee klatch with friends.
- Wednesday was supposed to be a monthly potluck lunch. As it was cancelled, I had lunch with a new friend - we shared tips on what's "normal." I watched as she showed me how to eat a radish appetizer - sprinkle salt on a plate, rub the radish in it, eat it with a piece of buttered bread, repeat :-). I introduced her to gallo pinto (French style), and how to mix in crème fraîche.
- Friday, I met a few people to see a movie at the cinema! I watched my first film in France (and the first in a very long time even before moving). It was Green Book, so an American film, but it had been dubbed into French. There were enough points of reference that I could follow it, and I still had a ton of French slowly seeping into my head.

The rest of my week was full of regular chores, a lot of reading, more sunset photos, and (finally!) some painting :-)


No comments: