22 March 2018

Traveling On a National Strike Day

Traveling On a National Strike Day

Yesterday, my préfecture called - my French driver's license is ready!** And did I want to pick it up Thursday (the next day) or Tuesday? Well, Tuesday was definitely out, since I'll be on a boat, greeting the tallships :-) So Thursday it is!

Only much later did I realize that "Thursday" was "March 22," the "Major National Strike Day"...

I looked up trains to and from Montpellier - after 5:00 pm, the schedule for the next day was supposed to reflect any cancellations due to the strike; there were plenty of local trains showing, so I made my plans accordingly.

Something made me look at the schedule this morning - ZERO trains running! A quick and frantic check seemed to indicate that I could take the bus and tram instead, but I'd have to hurry, and the trip would take much longer.

I caught my bus, and double-checked with the driver - no, this line is not affected by the strike.

Montpellier was full of people streaming towards the manifestation grounds - I followed along


If you want to know more about the strike, click
here. But please note: the news highlights the violence; Montpellier had a normal, non-violent day, just full of marchers protesting, and empty of trains.

~~~
** Mais, non ! NOT the card, just my new récépissé :-(
I'm now a temporary driver until July...


No comments: