24 October 2017

Not French Enough

Not French Enough

I'm reading "The Bonjour Effect,"* and I'm at the point in the book where the authors talk about French pessimism. They quote Beaumarchais, Rousseau and Camus, all of whom expound on the idea of French pessimism: "I would rather fear without reason than expose myself carelessly," man was "born free and everywhere is in chains," and "you will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life."

Oh, kill me now.

Well... What can I say, I'm an optimist. But, I'm also pragmatic. So, pragmatically, I should embrace this pessimism? Nope, I'm just not French enough. Yet.

Obviously, the DELF threw a little fear my way, so there's some hope. (Drat! No! Just say no to hope!)


~~~~
* Recommended by Ron, so thanks! You've ruined my life. See? I'm working on it.

No comments: