Topics of Conversation in Iowa:
- Corn! When it's ready, how to cook it, how upsetting it is that someone had the temerity to call something "sweet corn" when it *obviously* was not! On the News: dangers of methane build-up in corn silos, and how to avoid this.
- Hawkeyes! and any other college and semi-pro sport team.
- Snowblowers! Advantages and disadvantages of various models, the effect of snow-blown rocks hitting houses with fiberglass siding, how important it is to point the blower away from your neighbor's freshly-blown walkway. The best way to blow deep snow. Electric starters? Yes! Snow shovel? Only for exercise, and it gets old fast...
- RAGBRAI! Anticipation mounts only days after the recaps wane. This is a week-long party, interspersed with bike-riding across the state :-)
- Leaves! How to find out the very best day to go on a leaf-peeking drive, where to go, reminiscences of past trips. Anxiety about finding a hotel for *that* weekend. Can you do it all in one day? Yes! You'll never guess who I ran into while leaf-peeking!
- Tornadoes! What to do with all the strange items found in the fields after a tornado (answer - take them to the Fire station).
- Deer! Drive carefully at dusk and dawn, since deer like to eat in the corn fields, and sleep on the other side of the road (it's almost a law with them). In the News: 4 hunters shot in the first morning of deer hunting season.
- Caucuses! Iowa has caucuses, which are different than primary elections. Iowans still get inundated with political ads, just like everyone else. sigh.
Just for balance, California topics would be: wine, 49ers and Sharks, surfboards and skis, Bay-To-Breakers "race," movie premieres, earthquakes, mountain lions, and the initiative process (and more political ads).